BONNIE DAVIS AND THE PICCADILLY PIPERS... PART 1 OF 2
"So Near And Yet So Far"/"A Long Way To Go"
by Bonnie Davis And The Piccadilly Pipers
on Melmar 100-A/B
released early 1950's
Above: Photo of Bonnie Davis And The Piccadilly Pipers. (Top) Ernie Ransom (guitar), (Middle L-R) Ed "Skeets" McKaine (bass), Clem Moorman (piano), (Bottom) Bonnie Davis (lead vocals).
Click HERE for a different photo taken at same session.
Above: Photo of Melmar 100-A. The flip, "A Long Way To Go", does not have vocal group backing. Note "Broomall, Pa." on the label. Also, note "Dickman" (along with Bonnie "Davis") gets composer credit. Max Dickman was the owner of the Melmar label.
Lou Rallo provides the following information about the Melmar label:
- Melmar 101 & 114 labels show "Philadelphia, Pa.".
Some vocal group releases are...
- Melmar 101 (blue label)-Bonnie Davis & Piccadilly Pipers-If You Only Knew/Sometimes-probably 1954
- Melmar 113-The Big Boys-If I Had My Chance/Rock, Rock-A-Bye Baby-1955
- Melmar 114 (yellow label)-Furness Brothers Featuring Al Berry-Only Fate/Lookin' Out The Window-1956
- Melmar 115 (orange label)-Al Berry And Furness Brothers-King Of The Blues/Please Don't Call Me A Fool-1956 (flip label has 116-B)
- Melmar 116-Al Berry And Furness Brothers-Say It Isn't So/??-1956
- Melmar 121-Superbs-Beans/My Love For You-probably 1957
- Melmar 122-Five Hungry Men-We Belong Together/??-probably 1957
Listen to this week's selections: [Audio restoration by Dave Saviet.]
A) Click on an option below to listen to Bonnie Davis And The Piccadilly Pipers using Streaming Windows Media Player.
"So Near And Yet So Far" - Melmar 100-A - early 1950's
"A Long Way To Go" - Melmar 100-B - early 1950's
"BOTH SONGS" NOT FUNCTIONAL!
B) Click on an option below to listen using Downloading Windows Media Player.
"So Near And Yet So Far" - Melmar 100-A - early 1950's (file size=444KB)
"A Long Way To Go" - Melmar 100-B - early 1950's (file size=417KB)
This site is non-commercial. All information displayed is provided to further the general public's knowledge of RnB vocal group harmony.