SPOTLIGHT ON THE RAVENS - PART ONE
(In Memory Of Warren Suttles)
"How Could I Know"
Above: June 19, 1948 clipping of The Ravens, who were (L-R) Warren Suttles (baritone), Maithe Marshall (tenor), Jimmy Ricks (bass), and Leonard Puzey (tenor). Maithe had replaced Ollie Jones after the Hub releases.
Click HERE for a four-part article about The Ravens by Marv Goldberg.
Click HERE for an article about The Ravens (1940's) by J.C. Marion.
Click HERE for an article about The Ravens (1950) by J.C. Marion.
(Above links will open in a separate window)
RAVENS CLIPPINGS: [FROM BILLBOARD]
Above: Label images of Hub 3030 released in June 1946 and National 9059 released in October 1948. Leonard Puzey sings lead on "Lullaby" while Maithe Marshall and Jimmy Ricks share the lead on "How Could I Know." The Ravens had releases on Hub (1946), National (1947-51), King (1948-49), Columbia/Okeh (1950-52), Mercury (1951-55), and Jubilee (1955-56).
Listen to this week's selections by The Ravens:
[Audio restoration by Dave Saviet.]
Above: April 17, 1948 Clipping A. Stream RealAudio (DO NOT USE...LISTEN USING DOWNLOAD REALAUDIO)...
Lullaby - Hub 3030 - 1946
How Could I Know - National 9059 - 1948
BOTH played in sequence
MORE SELECTIONS BY THE RAVENS:
(Will open in separate window)
- PART TWO: "Someday"/"If You Didn't Mean It" - National 9089 - 1949
- "Would You Believe Me" - National 9035 - 1947
- "Bee I Bumblebee Or Not" - National 9040 - 1947
- "Fool That I Am" - National 9040 - 1947
- "It's Too Soon To Know" - National 9056 - 1948
- "I'm So Crazy For Love" - Columbia 39070 - 1950
- "There's No Use Pretending" - Mercury 5764 - 1951
- "Hey, Good Lookin" (w/ Dinah Washington) - Mercury 8257 - 1951
This site is non-commercial. All information displayed is provided to further the general public's knowledge of RnB vocal group harmony.